5.01.2008

Encouragement

I have been trying to learn as much as I can about HLHS the past week and have come across several blogs of parents whose children have HLHS. Some have been very encouraging as these are people who understand this emotional roller coaster to the full effect. I wanted to link three of the sites that are my favorites. If you get the chance, visit these and maybe give them words of encouragement and praise.

The first is the first site I found with a child with HLHS. You can go to either www.babysamson.com or http://www.wonderbliss.com/ . They named their son Samson because they wanted him to have strength. I think that is awesome. He is scheduled for his third surgery, Fontan, on May 21.

The second site is http://www.olivia-ann.com/wordpress/. This little girl has completed the three surgeries. The mother's stories of her pregnancy diagnosis and her eventual letters to the doctor (he told her she should terminate the pregnancy) are amazing.

The third site is http://babyabbysheart.blogspot.com/. Abby has had the first two surgeries and has an older sister named Anna (so this obviously touched my heart).

2 comments:

Alison (Abby's Mom) said...

Thank you so much for visiting Abby's blog. I remember how dark and lonely those first few weeks after the diagnosis were for me, and what great comfort I found in the blogs of other HLHS miracles. It helped me to prepare for the journey ahead, and to have hope for our Abby, just as you have hopefully found great hope for Emma Kate. If you ever need anything, have any questions, or just need someone who has been in your shoes to listen, please don't ever hesitate to drop me an email. We will keep your family in our prayers.

-Alison (Abby's mom)

Anonymous said...

Brooks & Bethany,  I've learned of Emma Kate's health concern through Kristy/Christianna.  Please know that I am praying.  I also forwarded the email/blog site to others who will want to join me in prayer.  How wonderful that you are in Birmingham with some of the most skilled medical care available for Emma Kate.  Love to all, Mrs. Sue