1.20.2009

Deja-Vu

We left Birmingham yesterday around 5:30 after saying goodbye to Anna Brooke and Nana. Emma Kate slept the entire trip and Bethany and I enjoyed watching the snow. It was a nice quiet ride that gave us time to mentally prepare for the next few days. We arrived in Atlanta around 9pm and checked into the RMH. We got in our room, fed EK, and passed out after watching an episode of the Office.

We woke up this morning and went to Egleston at 9:40 for our 10:00 pre-op appt. We were told to expect everything to last around 4 hours. When we walked in to the hospital, it was like we had never left. I can't put into words the emotions that came to mind as we rode the elevator to the 3rd floor. This is the same floor, the same waiting room, that we spent hours in waiting to hear about Emma Kate and her Norwood.

We went back to our room and prepared to begin the procedures. The first nurse checked EK's blood pressure and oxygen sats. Emma Kate spent this time chatting the nurse up and laughing at everything. (Her oxygen levels are ranging between 73 and 75). The anesthesiologist came in next and told us to have EK in tomorrow morning at 6am because her surgery will begin at 7:30am. It was during this time that I washed my hands. I hadn't smelled that soap in 4 1/2 months. The smell made my eyes fill with tears. All I could picture was my little 3 day old Emma Kate after having her first surgery. It is amazing how our senses remember.

The rest of the day was spent getting an echo, an xray, signing consent forms and lab work. We also got to talk with Dr. Kirshbom and he explained the Glenn (I will detail that tomorrow). He told us that he feels everything should go well and our stay should be about a week. Through all of this, Emma Kate had a smile on her face. She is such a joy!

Overall, the pre-op lasted 5 1/2 hours and left the three of us exhausted and hungry. We called our friends, Charles and Vanessa Giddens (whose son, Parker, was in the hospital in August with Emma Kate), and ate dinner with them. It was great to spend time with them outside of the CICU! After dinner, we gave Emma Kate a betadine bath and put her to bed. Bethany and I then prayed with our sleeping baby.

We prayed for God to give her strength tomorrow and over the days to come. Prayed for her heart specifically, that it would handle everything well. We prayed for wisdom for Dr. Kirshbom, Dr. Maxey and everyone else that will come in contact with Emma Kate. We prayed for rest for ourselves and for peace. And we prayed that through all of this, and through all things, that God and God alone would be glorified.

Tomorrow is just a few hours away and yet right now I am calm. I feel that we have done this before. It all feels too familiar. And I am praying for an amazing outcome. Tomorrow I may not be able to breathe but right now I know that my little miracle is stronger than any of this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's ironic that the smell of soap brings you back. That's the ONE THING that takes me back to the beginning. When we go for followup appointments and I use that soap - I'm right back there 48 hours after giving birth.

I'm praying for you today and always - keep us posted.