1.21.2009

Surgery... Update

Scroll down for updates

Emma Kate woke up with us around 4am and was for the most part very happy. She did fuss a little because we couldn't give her anything to eat. We got to Egleston at 5:45 and went to our waiting room. A nurse took her vital signs and gave her some medicine that knocked her out.

The anesthesiologist came to get her around 7:30 and said that we would get a call around 9am for updates. We will let you know when we get some news. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers today.

Update 9:45am

We just spoke with the nurse who is in the room with Emma Kate. She said everything is going well and that Emma Kate is about to go on heart/lung bypass. They will call us back in an hour.

Mommy and Daddy are doing well. Trying not to think too much about what all is going on. Kiki and Lito are here and we are telling funny stories. I will share one from yesterday:

So Bethany, Emma Kate and I were going through all of the pre-op things and of course Emma Kate was smiling and laughing at everyone. The first nurse smiled back and said "I bet your grandma just loves you!".
Now I thought that was an interesting thing to say but just thought that maybe she has grandchildren of her own.
The next nurse we saw during the echo was talking with Emma Kate and making her laugh. She looked at her and said, "I know your grandma loves you so much!"
So now I am puzzled. There is no doubt in my mind that Kiki and Nana love Emma Kate more than anything but this is just a weird thing to say. Is this a practice that Children's of Atlanta recommends? Are nurses told to mention the grandmother?
So we head down to get x-rays done and the nurse once again says, "Oh, I know your grandmother loves you!"
As she walked away, I looked at Bethany and said, "Isn't that strange? Why do all the nurses keep talking about her grandmother loving her??"
Bethany looked at me and pointed to Emma Kate's bib and said, "Brooks, her bib says My Grandma loves me".

So I guess the nurses are more observant than her daddy is. Which is definitely a blessing!

3 comments:

Teri Dunaway said...

We are constantly praying ...

Teri Dunaway said...

Just got word that surgery is over and Emma Kate did well! Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

I needed that laugh, Brooks! That's priceless.
Of course her Nana loves her!