8.24.2008

48 Hours

It has been 48 hours since the doctors took Emma Kate away for her Norwood. They told us that the first 48 hours are the most critical after surgery. So far, EK is doing better than I could have ever hoped.

As we sit and talk with Emma Kate, we ask the nurses thousands of questions. I'm sure we ask the same things over and over but the nurses continue to answer with a smile. (Please thank God for Kim, Rachel, Brenda, Kristina, Allison, Heretta, Rachel again, Lisa, Heretta again, Lisa again and Lauren). They explain each tube, drain, button and medicine over and over. I try to pretend like I know what is going on but actually I'm just glad EK is in their hands.

Emma Kate is currently still swollen in her face, arms and legs. This is a side effect of all the liquid being put into her body with not much being let out. The body has to work hard after surgery to pee and it is even harder for someone who is 5 days old. They told me yesterday they would like to see her between 15-20 ml per hour but would settle for 10. She hit 12 the first hour we were there and never looked back. She got as high as 31ml! I know it is weird to be excited about pee but it feels good knowing one of her goals and seeing her reach it.

As of Sunday morning, Emma Kate has not had any major setbacks and for this we are grateful. We know there are many days still to come but these first few have gone well. We have taken many pics of her with her wires and I will post them soon. They are hard to look at but I have taken them for several reasons. First, I always want to remember what my little hero went through. Problems and struggles will never seem as difficult compared to this. Second, I want Emma Kate to see these when she is older. I want her to know how hard she fought and how truly precious she is. I also want to show every boy who knocks on my door in the future just how much my Emma Kate means to me. I think these pics will be stronger than a gun.

During our stay here, we have built relationships with other heart parents who understand exactly what we are going through. It has been a great emotional release to deeply exhale and look over and see another dad nod with sympathy. To be able to walk over and say "You guys should go get some rest... There is a huge parking garage to go scream in... (and my personal favorite) I just don't understand the heart at all!!" With these people, we have quickly formed a bond. We rejoice in their victories and pray hard in the struggles. We look forward to the day when we aren't seeing them in the CICU and instead in the Step-down unit. That is still a little while away.

I don't know why God chose Emma Kate to endure this. But I do know that my faith in Him grows by the minute. And my faith in man is growing as well. If only we could all look past our differences and reach out and give each other a hug. What a wonderful world it would be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooks and Bethany:
I am so happy Emma Kate is doing so well.Get some rest... You are all in my prayers Love, Liz (Mimi)

Anonymous said...

Brooks, I have really loved reading about this journey and praying for your family. Thank you for honestly sharing the emotion and experience. Sometimes I have to shake my head and realize it's YOU (the crazy boy from high school algebra) writing and not a random person. May the Lord continue to richly bless you, Bethany, and the girls and allow you to accept the grace He continually gives. Love, Melissa Hope

Kiki and Lito said...

Please give my Emma Kate a kiss for me. I missed her today. I hope that she will be off of the ventilator tomorrow and breathing on her own. She is so beautiful. I hope you and Bethany are getting enough rest. I love you, Mom.