8.25.2008

Extubated!!!

We are about to head up to see Emma Kate and we got great news. She was extubated (breathing tubes removed from her mouth) this morning! The doctors and nurses have been very impressed with her breathing and were slowly weening her off the machine. They told us last night they were going to run a few tests and see if she could handle breathing on her own. We were expecting her to be extubated tomorrow morning but this is a very pleasant surprise. Seeing those tubes in her mouth has been one of the harder things of this process because she seems so uncomfortable. When she cries, there is no sound, just a red squished up face. We can't wait to go kiss those sweet little lips and hear her cry as much as she wants to! What a good way to start the morning!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear how well Emma Kate's doing. Hopefully she will continue to stay ahead of schedule with the rest of her recovery. Love from me and Fritz!

Kristy said...

I'm so happy for Emma Kate and for you guys! Mom just called and told me the good news. I know how relieved you all are. Please give her a kiss for me!!! I keep saying it - but what a little fighter Emma Kate is! So amazing to see. I hope you all have an incredible remainder of the day and week. Can't wait to hear more good news. We should be back up there to see you guys this weekend, and I hope we'll be visiting in the Step Down unit!! Please give Emma Kate lots of love from us, and know that we love you and Bethany and Anna Brooke as well!!! Hooray for Emma Kate :)
love,
Kristy

Anonymous said...

congrats guys. She's such a little champ and I can't wait to see her. so proud of all of you and give AB a hug for me.
love you
Marti

Alison (Abby's Mom) said...

That is a huge step! And one step closer to you being able to hold her. Go EK!

Anonymous said...

I'm just in the door from our trip to Florida but I've been wondering how you guys were making out. SO happy all is going well and looking forward to more updates as you have the time.

Take care and God Bless!