8.21.2008

Emma Kate's Norwood is Tomorrow (Friday)!!!

I got to Egleston this morning around 10:00am just as the morning rounds were wrapping up. They don't allow anyone in the CICU during rounds so this was my plan. As I walked in, I saw Tracy (surgery coordinator who Bethany and I met last month on our visit) and she said that the plan was to have Emma Kate's Norwood tomorrow morning. She wasn't 100 % sure, but that is what she believed was the plan. She also said that Dr. Kirshbom would be doing the surgery. This was definitely a blessing as we have heard that he is very skilled in the Norwood. (Obviously all the doctors here are good at the procedure, we have just heard that he is the best).

I called Bethany, who with her mom and Anna Brooke were in the car on the way from Birmingham, and told her about the plan. She began to cry a little (tears of joy) as this is what we were hoping for. I told her that Dr. Kirshbom was in surgery and would speak with us when Bethany arrived. I spent about two hours with EK and went to eat lunch.

Bethany arrived in Atlanta around 1:45 and we went and sat with Emma Kate. She is still doing very well. She has the chubbiest little cheeks for a child that was only 5 lbs 13oz! She is sleeping all the time, as newborns do, and all of her tests are coming back well.

Dr. Kirsbom came to meet with us around 2:15 and discussed the plans. Emma Kate will have her Norwood tomorrow morning to mid-day. She is the second case of the day meaning Dr. K has another surgery before hers. The estimated time for surgery is around noon. He said that there is a chance that his first case won't show up tomorrow and if this happens EK will go at 7:15am. This means that Bethany and I will get to the hospital around 6:30am so we can be with her before she goes if she does go first.

Dr. K discussed the procedure in depth and the plans before and after. (Here is a link that explains the Norwood. For you heart parents out there, Dr. K will be doing the Sano instead of the BT shunt). The surgery should last roughly 6 hours and we will be called by a nurse every hour to explain where they are and how EK is doing. After her surgery, she will remain in the CICU until she is stable enough to go to the step-down unit. She won't be able to "step-down" until the majority of her wires and tubes are removed.

Dr. K explained that Emma Kate is a typical HLHS baby and feels her surgery has a 85-90% success rate. This stat falls in-line with Norwood patients. He did say that her aorta is very small --2-2.5 mm (not cm as I posted before) but this is not uncommon for HLHS babies. We will meet with him again tomorrow when surgery is complete.

So where does this leave us? Scared, excited, nervous, exhausted, etc. You name it, we are going through it. We are very glad that step 1 will begin tomorrow. This has been a surgery that has been hanging over our heads for months and now it is finally here. We are more scared than we have ever been in our lives. We are planning to get as much rest as possible tonight so that we can be ready for what is about to come.

Emma Kate is real now. I can touch her, smell her, kiss her and I am going to allow someone to take her away and stop her heart. It is the weirdest feeling I have ever known. I know that they are doing it to save her life but it takes my breath away. Please dear God let her surgery be a success. I can't say that loud enough and it still feels like a whisper. Please allow the doctors and nurses do their jobs with the knowledge and talents and abilities that you gave them. And please let my sweet little girl with her chubby cheeks and her long skinny fingers and toes and her head full of hair and her sweet little tongue and her soft precious skin get through all of this. Please hear all of the prayers that are being brought to you on behalf of Emma Kate. And if it is not too selfish, please hear mine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am sitting here crying again. Brooks your honesty is so genuine and your prayers are resounding through Heaven right to the Father's Throne. I am CERTAIN!

When Cherish was born, she had to have a spinal tap at 24 hrs old. That cannot compare to what you're going through but it was still scary nonetheless. But while we were praying for Cherish to come through it and all, the Lord gave us a vision of His Hand being placed directly over her back, well His hand was big enough to cover her entire body. Anyway, in the vision, the needle was going right through His hand where the nail pierced it...and He showed us that He was not only protecting her from anything going wrong but He was also covering her with His sacrifice on the cross. I don't know, it made us more confident that things were really in His control and He really did hear us and was very involved in what we were going through. I am praying for Him to give ya'll visions and dreams and increased faith while you sleep tonight, to enable you both to endure what is probably the biggest trial you've ever had to face, tomorrow. Please be encouraged by this. And of course, soooo many prayers are going up as a fragrant incense to Him on behalf of your sweet one! Can't wait for the PRAISE REPORT!!!

Megan said...

I know tomorrow won't be easy. We'll be praying for EK (& you & Bethany)! May God be glorified through her little life!

AJ said...

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes as I think of all you're going through. Tears of heartache for you and tears of joy in knowing all that God is going to do through this little precious life (with chubby cheeks!). Emma Kate is precious, and God created her with HLHS and is going to show Himself in a way that only He gets the glory!!!

Get some rest tonight, I pray that you're able to be all that you can be tomorrow for each other, and especially for EK! I'll be checking for updates and praying throughout the day tomorrow!

Thank you for sharing this journey with us! And take comfort in knowing that those who have walked before you are lifting you up!!!

Teri Dunaway said...

I, too, have tears in my eyes reading your plea to God's ears about Emma Kate's surgery. And I add my own pleading to it. God has a plan for Emma Kate, and I just feel that she will do GREAT in the surgery, and have a short recovery ... please know that we are ALL praying for you all continually!
With all my love, Aunt Teri (and Mamaw, too!)

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Keisler Family... Today I will focus all my thoughts on all of you... We love you all and hope to see you all soon. Little Ek is going to be just fine Craig wanted to know if she was reading yet? Ha Ha give Anna Brooks a hug We love ya