8.20.2008

Emma Kate is at Egleston

It is about 12:30am est and I have just left Emma Kate in the Cardiac ICU at Egleston. I arrived in Atlanta around 6:15 pm est and checked into the RMH and headed over to Egleston around 7:15. Unfortunately this was during their shift change so I had to wait around for what seemed like forever. I was assured that EK was indeed at the hospital and that the cardiologist was doing an echo on her.

At around 9:30 I was finally able to go and see her and she is doing great! I spoke for a while with Dr. Clay (pediatric cardiologist on duty) and he went over more details about HLHS. Basic things that Bethany and I have heard several times but it is still refreshing to hear over and over again. I do like that each doctor has been consistent in explaining EK's diagnosis. He said that she is stable and everything looks good for surgery. The surgeon's will do their rounds tomorrow morning and will meet with us to go over her surgery schedule. It is looking like it will be either Friday or Monday.

When Dr. Clay was finished, Emma Kate's two nurses (Kim and Rachel) went over basic rules and guidelines for the CICU. They also explained each of her wires and said that two of her medications she was on at UAB (one for blood pressure and one for helping the heart pump) were removed because she didn't need them. The ports are still attached in case she needs them in the future.

After all of the information, I called Bethany and then just sat with Emma Kate. She slept for the 2 1/2 hours I was in there! I rubbed her head for the good majority of the time (she has so much dark hair!) and let her know how much we love her. I also told her about all of you praying for her. We also watched Misty May and Kerri Walsh win gold in Beach Volleyball which she thoroughly enjoyed! She will like the Olympics like her daddy and big sister.

I am planning on getting a good night's rest and heading over in the morning to hopefully meet with the surgeon. They gave me a pager and have my cell phone and room number just in case anything is to happen. I feel like our little girl is in good hands and am anxious to find out when her surgery will be. I am also ready for Bethany and Anna Brooke to get here tomorrow. Beth will be discharged sometime in the morning and they will head over shortly after that.

I took a few pics of her tonight but I will post those later. For now, good night and we will update in the morning.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Good Morning! So glad to hear that Emma Kate is doing so well. I hope that both of you had a wonderful night. We will be there this evening and I can't wait to see all of you!!
Aunt Kristy

Kiki and Lito said...

I'm so glad that she is doing so well. I hope you got some sleep last night, you were so tired yesterday. Like I told you yesterday, it was so precious seeing you with Emma Kate and watching you calm her down and how she responded to your voice. I am so blessed to have been there and to have been able to witness that. I love you and Kristy and I will be seeing you guys this evening.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that all is well... Take care of yourself Brookie i mean Brooks... We love you all very much and will try to get up to Atl this weekend to see you all... Give Anna Brooks a hug for us.. As I said before you all have made us very proud. Their Granddaddy and Great Granny are smiling down on Emma Kate and Anna Brooks.....
Love ya
Aunt Sheryl

Erin said...

Glad to hear that everything is going so well. WE knew it would...God is SO good. Can't wait to see each of you again. We are praying for you guys everyday and we love you lots.
Love, Josh and Erin